Programmatic email advertising is the process of automatically placing ads in emails so they reach target audiences with relevant messaging.
These programmatic units can take the form of native ads, which blend into their surrounding content, or display ads, which can be situated at the top, middle, bottom, or sidebars of emails.
According to the Interactive Advertising Bureau, programmatic advertising accounts for 68% of all digital media ad spend — with that number expected to grow.
What is an example of programmatic email?
Say a retail brand wants to promote its new line of workout clothes. The brand can buy programmatic ad placements in the email newsletters of sports publications. This way, the brand reaches readers who’ve opted in to receive industry-related content and will most be likely to engage with its ads.
Why is programmatic email important?
Programmatic email advertising offers a range of benefits, including:
- Enhanced targeting capabilities thanks to data-driven ad placements
- Increased scale across newsletters without the headache of manual ad buying
- Automatic budget optimization since you’re only paying for the most relevant inventory
How can you use programmatic email?
Advertisers can buy programmatic email placements in different ways, including:
- Real-time bidding on demand-side platforms
- Direct deals with publisher partners
- Private programmatic marketplaces
It’s important for advertisers to choose the programmatic email ad platforms and partners that work best for their goals.